Sunday, October 21, 2012

Beyond the classroom

Hello everyone,

I hope you've had a good week. As always, time flies when you're having fun and it's unbelievable that we are already the majority of the way through October. Senior year has mixed emotions. I am in a place that I love dearly, living in this safe community, all the while longing for the next step and the real world. I can not deny that I enjoy being a student and having the opportunity to learn, but at some point you just want to put your knowledge to work and prove you can be successful.

Over my years at Mercyhurst, there may be nothing I am more obsessed and dedicated to than my extracurricular activities. My involvement as a student ambassador, resident assistant, presidency of both National Broadcasting Society and Public Relations Student Society of America, among being a lector and Eucharistic minister, have really solidified this place as my home. However, beyond being a place of comfort, these things have allowed me to grow as a person and a professional.

Thus far this year, my baby or pet project is the Mercyhurst Chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). We are a relatively young organization, just beginning our fourth year, but a larger issue is that we don't have any traditions. Being so young, we haven't stuck to any projects and every year is like re-inventing the wheel, which is what I'm working on this year. We decided for forgo the national conference in San Francisco, a difficult thing to do, but it has made a much larger focus on creating a community here and building that much need foundation.

This year, PRSSA is heavily focusing on the Frozen Putt-A-Thon, a winter fest like event that transforms a summer attraction into a winter haven. We have partnered with Harbor View Miniature Golf where we will dig out the course from snow and completely makeover the place. This is not only a fundraiser for the organization, but a wonderful opportunity to take on that practical learning experience. I know that I have told you all of this before, however now we are deeply inside the planning process and I will have many things to present to you in the upcoming weeks about this unique event and everything we are doing to prepare of it. In the meantime, save January 26, 2013 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. to come to the event. You can plan a 10 a.m. campus tour by calling 814-824-2000 and then come on down to the event.

Have a great week!
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment